This project addresses a new direction in training and capacity building in livestock data analytics and intelligence for staff and students in the Department of Animal Sciences. The emphasis on “Data Culture and Value Creation Culture” echoes trends in the application of data intelligence in knowledge-driven economies globally.
Currently, there is no entrenched institutional culture for harnessing data to drive the development agenda. In addition, the deployment of technological innovations in research conceptualization, design, data capture, archiving, management, analysis and insights are very low-keyed or non-existent. Currently, there is no data culture in academic Departments, in spite of the data revolution globally. Further, merits and advantages of institutional data culture, analytics and intelligence are not recognized or harnessed.
The core objective the DASOAU Datawarehouse is to explore a new paradigm for harnessing livestock data culture for overall development. Core methodology presents details about the full deployment of ICT, cloud servers and cyber-physical systems for the entrenchment of data intelligence for value creation in Animal Sciences.
Rationale and Justification
- Competitive edge at multiple scales, especially with respect to data intelligence
- Quality of publications and scientific outputs enhanced by data culture and intelligence
- The need to inspire and imbue students with knowledge, skills and competence in data intelligence
- A sound data culture is in tandem with global best practices in training and capacity building in ANS and in all science-based academic Departments.
- Data analytics and data literacy are critical skills for employability and future career options, and for career growth and development.
- New “top of the game” professional outlook in the field of ANS, based on data culture and intelligence.
- Graduates gain complete and full education in terms of skills and versatility in data analytics and intelligence in the field of ANS.
- Undergraduate and PG students imbued with skills, knowledge, competencies and capabilities to use data to (re)solve practical problems in the livestock industry.
- To explore a strategy for the creation of a livestock data warehouse architecture to facilitate the compilation, organization and dissemination of data analytics and insights from research data, in all aspects of animal production and value chains, as a key strategy for value creation.
- A reorientation programme for Faculty and students of ANS/Agriculture to embrace a new culture of data and value creation to drive the developmental agenda
- Assess new approaches for the acquisition of full ICT-driven research knowledge, skills and competence in harnessing data intelligence for livestock sector development.
- Explore options and approaches for ICT-driven methodologies in data capture, analysis and intelligence.
- Initiate an institutional drive to monitor emerging trends in data science and technology, especially with respect to IoT, machine learning and artificial intelligence, etc., with applications to the livestock industry.
- Explore strategies for entrenching a data culture as a critical component of research and innovation in ANS in particular, and agriculture in general.
- Assess global institutional trends for mainstreaming data culture in ANS as a component of research for impact and development